Tuesday 10 January 2012

1 Year, 100 Books Challenge: Pegasus and the Flame

This is my fifth book and review in my 1 Year, 100 Books Challenge that I am attempting in 2012. For more info on it follow this  link.

Book Number: 5
Title: Pegasus and the Flame
Author: Kate O'Hearn
Date of Completion: 6/1/2012
Rating: 4 stars


Why I Read It: 
I was surprised (read: excited) to find a Pegasus book in the Young Adult section so I read the blurb and it sounded good but then I realized it was the second book in it's series - Pegasus and the Fight for Olympus so I went ahead and reserved this. Also it was a reality/mythology blend (I adore those) and it was recommended by Rick Riordan (whose books I also adore).


The Characters: 
Emily - our little heroine. She is surprisingly mature and collected about all the strange stuff that happens to her in the course of this novel. She is caring, thoughtful and quite smart at times. I love how genuine her feeling for Pegasus and the rest of the gang were (especially pegs) and their relationship is totally cute. 

Joel - Mean misunderstood kid in class who loves Roman myths and has a few anger management issues. I like how there was a softer side to this guy and how dedicated he got to the cause (and Emily and Pegs) 

Paelen - Olympian thief with the power to stretch his body (think Elastigirl). (Unknown to him)His greediness has ruined the Olympians chances in the war, but once he realizes the error of his actions he becomes completely dedicated to saving Olympus. I love his character development and I think he's funny and witty and I liked reading his story when he is captyured by the CRU. 

Diana - Well Artemis has always been my favourite Greek god, so I was really excited to see her join the gang, although she and everyone else was called by their Roman names (luckily a Greek mythology junkie like me would know most of the Roman counterparts anyway). She was pretty close to how I imagined her in my head so yay. 

Other - The Nirads made some pretty good enemies and they didn't look too out of place when compared to most Roman monsters. Agent J was also totally hate-able. 

The Plot: 
The plot was pretty good and mostly believable and understandable (I was glad that the Olympians came to New York by accident, because Percy Jackson's 'Greek gods move to where ever the heart of the west is' was kinda lame). It was quite predictable who the Flame of Olympus was going to be, though. There was always the small problem of the Roman gods living on Mt Olympus, and the solution was simple: change 'em all to their Greek counterparts, but no biggie. It was also a bit weird how Pegasus' bridle and hooves were the only things that could kill Nirads.  It also weirded me out that the gods could die, wouldn't they just be reborn or something.

The Writing: 
The writing was decent and I have no issues or praises about it.


Recommendation: 
For any children or teens who like mythology and reality blends.

No comments:

Post a Comment